This Friday, I will be posting a revised version of my conversion of the Pathfinder RPG’s Magus class.
As a preview of that conversion, I present for your review, a revised version of the Magus PC who is played by my son in my home 5th Edition D&D game.
Male Moon Elf Soldier Magus 5 XP: 13,500
Faction: Misty Kingdom Renown: 3
Representing Jadon Thiessen
Maximum Hit Points: 33
Hit Dice: 5d8
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 16
|Initiative modifier:||+0||= + 0 [dexterity]|
|Attack (handheld / thrown):||+2||= + 3 [proficiency] -1 [strength]|
|Attack (missile / finesse):||+7||= + 3 [proficiency] +1 [dexterity]|
|Strength save:||-1||= -1 [strength]|
|Constitution save:||+4||= + 3 [proficiency] + 1 [constitution]|
|Intelligence save:||+6||= + 3 [proficiency] + 3 [intelligence]|
|Wisdom save:||+1||= + 1 [wisdom]|
|Charisma save:||+0||= + 0 [charisma]|
|Insight (passive):||14||(19 with advantage)|
|Perception (passive):||14||(19 with advantage)|
Languages: Common, Elvish, Giant
Proficiency: Land Mounts, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Acid Splash [2d6 acid damage (range 60), one creature or two within 5ft of each other, DC 14 Dex save for no damage]
Ray of Frost [+6 to hit; 2d8 cold damage and target speed reduced by 10ft (range 60)]
Shocking Grasp [+6 to hit; advantage on roll vs. target in metal armor, 2d8 lightning damage and target can’t take reactions until the start of its next turn]
Unarmed strike [+2 to hit; 1-1 bludgeoning]
Rapier [+7 to hit; 1d8+4 piercing, 1 lb, finesse]
|Skill Name||Key Ability||Skill Modifier||Ability Modifier||Trained?||Misc. Modifier|
|Acrobatics||Dex||7 =||+4||+ 3|
|Animal Handling||Wis||1 =||+1|
|Arcana||Int||6 =||+3||+ 3|
|Athletics||Str||2 =||-1||+ 3|
|Insight||Wis||4 =||+1||+ 3|
|Perception||Wis||4 =||+1||+ 3|
|Sleight of Hand||Dex||4 =||+4|
First-level castings: 4/day
Second-level castings: 2/day
At magus level 5, Carrick knows 3 magus cantrips.
Ray of Frost
Carrick can prepare 5 magus spells daily.
Carrick’s First Level Magus spells:
Carrick’s Second Level Magus spells:
- You can exert influence and gain benefits from your military contacts.
- The DC to resist your spells is DC 14 (8 + proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier).
- Spell Combat: Once per round, when Carrick takes the Attack action, he can cast any non-cantrip magus spell that you have prepared as a bonus action, either before or after the Attack. If the spell is a ranged attack that would suffer Disadvantage on the attack, Carrick can make a DC 10 Constitution check as part of the bonus action to make the ranged attack normally.
- Arcane Pool: Carrick has 5 points in his arcane pool. Carrick regains all arcane pool points when you complete a long rest. Carrick can expend points from his arcane pool as a bonus action to grant any nonmagical weapon he is holding a bonus to hit and damage rolls and transform the weapon into a magic weapon for a duration of Concentration, up to 1 minute. The bonus to hit and damage depends on the amount of arcane pool points spent, as follows.
|Bonus to Hit and Damage||Arcane Pool Point Cost|
- Spellstrike: Whenever Carrick casts a magus spell or cantrip that requires a melee attack roll, he can deliver the spell through his bonded weapon instead. To do so, he takes the Attack action with a melee weapon and simultaneously cast any magus spell he has prepared or magus cantrip he knows as a bonus action. If he hits, the melee weapon attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If Carrick rolls a critical hit, the spell damage is doubled. Spellstrike can be used once per round.
- Armored Magus: Carrick is proficient with medium armor.
- Spell Recall: Carrick can transform arcane pool points into spell slots for the following costs:
Spell Slot Level Arcane Pool Point Cost 1st level 1 2nd level 3
- Pool Strike: Carrick may expend 2 or 3 points from your arcane pool as a bonus action to charge one of his hands with mystic energy. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. He may then make a melee spell attack with his charged hand to deal 2d10 damage of that type to the target he hits. He may expend further arcane pool points to increase the damage done, as set out in the following table:
|Pool Strike Damage||Arcane Pool Point Cost|
First Ability Score Improvement: +2 dexterity
Misty Kingdom Contacts:
Thaeriel Bitterleaf: Moon Elf Magus who roams the Sword Coast, overseeing agents of the Misty Kingdom and liasing with other allied organizations– Contact Bond Level 2.
Shaela Greenbow: Half-Moon Elf bard based out of Baldur’s Gate – Contact Bond Level 1